Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Pince-Nez Case Fit for a Dandy


LeDandy, your humble servant, had a rather unique gift request for his birthday: a sterling silver eyeglass case. After exhaustive research, which was a blast, I decided upon this case made in England circa 1909. The measurements seemed right and the case appeared to be in very good condition. A small ding on the back and some surface scratches but otherwise fine. Most antique silver eyeglass cases have a fair number of condition issues.




It is important to see the hallmark on silver. On this case, the hallmarks are both on the front and back of the case. I found a good reference on the web for researching hallmarks. According to the site, my case was made by Sampson Mordan.

I did not buy this case so it could sit in a cabinet. I am using it to store my pince-nez. My hoop springs fit inside perfectly.

This birthday gift combined my love for silver tchotchkies with my love for pince-nez. A match made in heaven! Thanks JD for the great gift.

Notice

©2008 - 2013 The Pince-Nez Renaissance

Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this blog's images and contents without the blog author's express written permission is strictly prohibited.