Saturday, January 17, 2009

My New Fitting Set


pince nez fitting set fits-u fingerpiece american optical"The stuff that dreams are made of." I remember this quote from "The Maltese Falcon," one of my favorite films with Humphrey Bogart. If you asked me about my dreams when I was seventeen, I guarantee you my response would be very different! But now I'm settled down and appreciate the finer things in life. As you may recall, I bought a fitting set a few weeks ago on eBay. This set is in superb condition and has ten of the twelve original fingerpieces.

pince nez fitting set fits-u fingerpiece american opticalAre these sets rare? I'm not sure. I will say they are quite scarce and appear on eBay at times. I'm glad to have a nearly complete set and will definitely leave this set to a museum one day. It really is a trip back in time when the customer received individual attention from an optician. These days you stand in line at a big chain store and hope you run into a competent salesperson.

Were these fitting sets important? Anyone who has bought the fingerpiece style understands how difficult it can be to achieve the right fit with this style of pince-nez. A good fit is not as easy as it looks and can be very frustrating to the novice. In fact, I almost gave up at one point (glad I didn't!).

The cardboard insert is in exceptional condition and has virtually no toning from age. I believe this condition is mostly due to the felt insert in the case.

pince nez fitting set fits-u fingerpiece american optical
Here is the full view of the insert.

pince nez fitting set fits-u fingerpiece american opticalHere are close-ups of the text. It gives the reader an appreciation for the detail involved with achieving the proper fit for the customer. Note the significance of each digit in the model number.

pince nez fitting set fits-u fingerpiece american optical
pince nez fitting set fits-u fingerpiece american optical
Of course the real charm of the set lies in the pince-nez itself. This particular set has the sanitary nose guard style, that is an all metal nose guard. The pictures speak for themselves.


pince nez fitting set fits-u fingerpiece american optical

pince nez fitting set fits-u fingerpiece american optical

pince nez fitting set fits-u fingerpiece american optical

pince nez fitting set fits-u fingerpiece american optical

Notice

©2008 - 2013 The Pince-Nez Renaissance

Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this blog's images and contents without the blog author's express written permission is strictly prohibited.