Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Bad eBay Purchase


pince nez hoop spring trial fitting set
A few weeks ago I was very excited a purchase I made on eBay. I "won" a a trial fitting set of twelve hoop spring pince-nez in a a beat up case. The price was $43.74 and I was ecstatic. Twelve hoop springs for $55 which included the shipping price? That was less than $5 a hoop spring. Plus I received the case. There were three pictures and they gave a flattering image of the set (photos in this post are mine). Clearly not all the hoop springs were original to the set but at this price it didn't matter.

pince nez hoop spring trial fitting set
A week after the auction I received the set. Pure crap! I don't recall ever being so disappointed with a purchase. Ten of the twelve hoop springs were a very cheap rimmed variety with significant rust. I never dealt with rimmed lenses on a pince-nez. According to my friend, these hoop springs were the cheap mail-order issue of the day. There were two other hoop springs which had minimal value. One of them fit me but it was nothing special. Below are photos of two hoop springs which were typical of the quality of the others.

pince nez hoop spring trial fitting set
pince nez hoop spring trial fitting set
I contacted the seller and asked for a refund. I mailed the set back and received a refund of the purchase but not shipping. If the set would have been decent, I would have been set with hoop springs for life! Nevertheless, I'm glad that I tried.

Notice

©2008 - 2013 The Pince-Nez Renaissance

Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this blog's images and contents without the blog author's express written permission is strictly prohibited.