Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Swap


This swap may not make the history books as did the exchange of Francis Gary Powers for Col. Rudolf Abel back in the early 60s.* However this swap is very important to me. Remember the fingerpiece I had fitted with prescription lenses? The opticians I used in SF (EyeGotcha) proved a huge disappointment as they did not work with me for a proper adjustment. My own efforts did not prove successful as I learned that adjusting a fingerpiece requires a skill which is beyond me at this time.


The good news is that lenses, for the most part, are interchangeable on pince-nez as the lens hole is usually a uniform distance for the strap. My friend sent me a great selection of fingerpieces and I chose one that has a pivot nose guard. Very comfortable and it should work out fine.

Why not do it myself? I tried. The lenses on my current fingerpiece are secured very tightly. I used my screwdriver in an attempt to remove them. A big mistake! The screwdriver slipped and made a tiny nick on the lens. Lesson learned. Also, you'll notice the lens guard is straight on my new mounting. It will take some expertise to bend them for my oval lenses.

I still haven't found a decent optician here in the Bay Area. Yes, one of the great metropolitan areas in the U.S. and it is very difficult to find someone good. I found an optician online and sent off my fingerpiece and new mounting earlier in the week. I'll wait for the results before posting their name.

As the English soccer song goes, "this time we'll get it right!"
__________________________
*Powers was the pilot shot down in the U-2 incident.

Notice

©2008 - 2013 The Pince-Nez Renaissance

Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this blog's images and contents without the blog author's express written permission is strictly prohibited.