Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Doing What It Takes


As I've mentioned, LeDandy isn't the handiest guy in the world. The first time I tried changing lenses on a pince-nez, the screw ended up somewhere in the living room carpeting. Nevertheless, I did manage to acquire the skill of changing lenses with ease. I found that virtually all of the lenses at my disposal have the same offset distance for securing to the mount. All I needed was a cheap set of screwdriver's purchased at Lowe's.


Why should you change lenses in the first place? When dealing with rimless lenses, you have tremendous freedom to choose among various sizes and shapes. It is almost too much freedom. One thing I learned about eyeglasses is that you can't always predict what will look good on yourself. By swapping lenses, you can be absolutely certain. In my case, I took the lenses without mounting from my Fits-U trial set and put them on the mounting discussed on my Apr. 6th post. I'm glad that I had two months to decide on a mounting.

I was fortunate to receive an assortment of spare parts from my friend which have proven quite valuable. Springs, screws, bridges, parts of nose guards and the other components of a pince-nez are essential for tinkering with mountings. If you aren't a tinkerer, you will be after working on pince-nez. It is inevitable for the hobbyist.

pince nez spare parts
The only other essential item I need is a set of good pliers. QTE offers pliers specially made for pince-nez at a reasonable price. Enter "pince-nez" in their website's search engine.

Use your judgment on what you can and cannot do. Practice on the cheap stuff and leave the complicated repairs on expensive pince-nez to your optician unless you are very confident.

Notice

©2008 - 2013 The Pince-Nez Renaissance

Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this blog's images and contents without the blog author's express written permission is strictly prohibited.